Thursday, October 16, 2003

There are a lot of personalized license plates in Virginia. I don't know what it is about this state. We are some funny people though. But sometimes we are PUNJABI or LAADLA. The Honda:Desi rep'n license plate ratio is nearly 1:1.

I got a story to relate about a friend of mine PHUNKY Z. We clowned him and his Amigo to no end about this. One can not get away with such a sociotraffic faux pas. Any way he wanted to change his tags to reflect the fact that he was "Just Chillin'". To give him credit, this was back in the mid 90s. Any way to his chagrin, JST CHLN was taken. So I came up with JSS CHLN. Hommy promptly got his tags. He has never given me credit for this and claims to have come up with the idea on his own. I like to goad him into arguing about it every now and then to the point where he's not JSS CHLN anymore. Irony. Anyway, he has since gotten married and dropped the tags for something like ZXY-5812. Marriage will do that to you. Personal reflection and not a commentary on said friend's marriage.

[NOTE: One of the biggest coincidences of my life occurred when I actually saw a Jeep Wrangler with the tags JST CHLN and my friend's Eclipse JSS CHLN in the same parking lot at Mason one summer.]

So yeah, every other car here has a personalized tag. Mine was 8RAIN until I sold my car. After getting it, I realized people might take it the wrong way and think I meant Brain. In reality it stood for A-Train (my nickname), but I accepted the unintended double entendre.

Glad I didn't get 4RUNNA (read: foreigner) for my old Toyota 4Runner back in the day. But whats up with RED BMW and BLUE Z4? Way to waste $10 a year.

No comments: