Monday, November 03, 2003

This Saturday night after tarawih prayers we went over to my boy's house to shoot some pool. He just got a new pool table and is now cool. So does anyone really know the rules, I mean really? We just made up house rules after referring to the book a couple times on debateable issues such as: can the person who breaks call whichever set of balls if both a solid and stripe go in? The house rules are pretty much made on the fly as we toil around the pool table. But then why do we get all worked up over the "integrity of the game" when one of us accidentally hits a ball out of place. Another instance of ruining the integrity of the game is when one of us completely whiffs and the cue ball heads in some wild direction and we quickly stop it and place it back at its original position.

You know in high school I had to do a senior project in computer class. I decided to do one on finding the optimal angle to hit a cue ball given any random placement of the other balls. It took me the entire year before I realized I had to implement constraints such as the coefficient of friction and also the fact that it is impossible to write a program that will run for the infinite degrees of angles. Not to mention spin. I BS'd my way into a B+.

On integrity, I always felt the integrity of the show Fresh Prince of Bel Air was lost when they replaced the dark slender mom with the chunky fair one. Props to Uncle Phil though.

No comments: